Desktop won't start

andydgra 13:50 06 Mar 2010

I thought it was the fuse in the plug but it must be the power supply FSP350-60MDN 350w, is it worth buying a second hand one off ebay for 30 quid? or is there anything else I can try first? It's a Advent T9306 about 4 years old. Also the fan is so loud it sounds like a helicopter taking off, should I change this while I'm at it or just turn the music up to drown it out? cheers

howard64 14:22 06 Mar 2010

fans are very cheap and a 450W power supply from the likes of novatech etc., start at about £25 so £30 for a second hand/unknown state is a bit daft.

andydgra 19:08 09 Mar 2010

put a new power supply in, started up, it shut down after a few seconds then started again, then shut down after a few more seconds. Doesn't shut down at the same period of time just lasts a few seconds then shuts down. I thought it was the fan loose so took this out but made no difference. I can't see any scorch marks anywhere. any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 09 Mar 2010

"Also the fan is so loud"

"just lasts a few seconds then shuts down"

If its the CPU fan then most likely its overheating and shutting down to protect the cpu from being fried.

andydgra 20:30 09 Mar 2010

the cpu fan has allways been loud and the machine is about 4 years old, it isn't running long enough to get hot. the fan was loose on it's mounting though and when removed, but with the box open, it still runs just a few seconds at a time and it shuts down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 09 Mar 2010

"it isn't running long enough to get hot"

it only takes a couple of seconds for a cpu to get overheated.

andydgra 21:02 09 Mar 2010

I think this could be the problem, the fan and heat sink was definatly loose and the platic pins will not now hold the fan/heatsink to the motherboard. It's a coolermaster cm12v and I wonder if I should replace this? I'll take the old fan/heatsink into a comp shop and ask for a replacement.

andydgra 19:05 10 Mar 2010

looking for some of these pins in the UK or an upgrade to fix the heatsink to the cpu. click here

andydgra 11:47 23 Mar 2010

Put in new power supply, new cpu heatsink/cooler, all well. Thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)