Desktop wireless USB vs PCI adapters

ejazbutt 14:29 17 Jan 2010

I have noticed that my USB wireless adapter gives a much better signal strength than my PCI internal adapter. Any reason for this? As I thought it would be the other way round??

Paperplane 15:18 17 Jan 2010

I've noticed this too and was about to ask the same question.

bremner 15:22 17 Jan 2010

Are both at the rear of the machine or just the PCI?

Paperplane 15:28 17 Jan 2010

PCI internal adapter has an aerial at the rear of the case and the Belkin USB adapter sits on a small stand with a wire attached to a USB port.
Maybe it's because I went for a cheapo internal card...

ejazbutt 15:28 17 Jan 2010

Just the PCI is at the rear the USB is on the front. Would that really make such a difference in strength?

Paperplane 15:29 17 Jan 2010

ezjabutt, hope you don't mind me joining you on this thread.

bremner 15:31 17 Jan 2010

Yes it could easily make a noticeable difference.

As you have not reported the relative strengths it is difficult to judge.

User-1229748 15:34 17 Jan 2010

can make a difference also if either are wireless n adapters if you are using a wireless n router.

100andthirty 15:40 17 Jan 2010

An aerial on a PCI wireless card tucked away at the back of the computer can lead to poor signal strength as the others have said. I had this problem too. As the aerial was removeable, i bought a desktop aerial and cable from Maplins and the signal strength was restored.

Paperplane 15:51 17 Jan 2010

That's not a bad idea thanks.

woodchip 16:06 17 Jan 2010

Its not where the card is, Its wire that hangs out of it that matters. If its in a corner its not going to pick much up. Antenna needs to be in free space as far as you can make it, i.e not a corner or back of PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?