Hot Topics

A desktop computer for an old duffer.

1936 13:50 13 Nov 2016

My Desktop PC is a Custom Build so has no actual make/model details; however, the Motherboard is an ASRock H67M-GE with Intel Graphics which I also believe is an integrated combo Graphics/Sound Card on the Motherboard When I’m writing I need to look for information on the Internet. Since I was stupid enough to listen to its supporters and accept Windows 10 practically every time I open a web page my computer momentarily freezes although if it’s a good day it then carries on. If it’s a bad day it actually freezes and I have to wait a few minutes before I can carry on, if I’m lucky I can use taskmaster by just opening it up and then closing it.
However, sometimes everything is so frozen that I have to pull the plug. I have been attempting to find an answer as to why my computer freezes for several weeks and have got as far as the suggestion that Intel Graphics has not provided a graphics driver.
The problem was that I found it impossible to contact either Intel or ASRock, the computer manufacturer so I have given up and decided to buy a new computer hoping that it comes with all the appropriate drivers.

My needs are simple, for the better part all I do it type although I use the Internet a great deal. I do use Emails a great deal. I don’t download music or films. I don’t play computer games. I do take a lot of digital photographs but am not interested in playing around with them. If there not up to the mark I dump them. I have to admit that although rather elderly I am what I would have been described as in my youth as a flash git so I like attractive looking devices. I’m well aware that I could probably cope with a Lap top but I like desktops. So if anyone would be so kind I wonder if anyone would care to offer a suggestion.
Oh, by the way, while attempting to send this question the computer froze twice and on each occasion I had to pull the plug. This time I have typed the question using a Windows page and I hope that I am lucky enough to be able to have pasted it.

Brumas 14:31 13 Nov 2016

Get an iMac and you won't look back. OK, so there will be a learning curve but you'll wonder why you put up with windows for so long!! I could go on....

1936 14:38 13 Nov 2016

Having read the reviews and even looked at the 27" iMac I would absolutely love one but although I have always been critical of the Apple pricing policy's the way that they smashed their prices into the stratosphere blaming Bretix was a price increase to far.

Govan1x 14:43 13 Nov 2016

Maybe wait for Black Friday then.

robin_x 15:24 13 Nov 2016

Reinstall W7/8/8.1? Unless you really want a new PC...

robin_x 15:26 13 Nov 2016

You'd need to know the original License Key

1936 15:36 13 Nov 2016

I have totally lost confidence in ASRock, and those who made it especially Intel and quite frankly I don't have much time for Microsoft who I'm sure do have the power to do much better than they have with Windows 10. I do have a Laptop with 7 still on it and I might just retreat to that. And just to think that there are those who actually criticised me for complaining about this debacle.

john bunyan 15:47 13 Nov 2016

For desktops I would have a look at Novatech - for your needs prices are quite modest; don't forget their prices do not include Operating systems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:47 13 Nov 2016

Win 10 is actually quite good but may take a little getting used to. Windows Edge the built in browser is not so good.

What did you have before win 7 with Internet explorer?

You can install something like Classic Shell that makes the start menu like XP or windows 7

and even try another browser.

if the machine is freezing there can be a few different causes.

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - speed fan will show temperatures

2. PSU voltages - speed fan will also show voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

x123 17:31 13 Nov 2016

You could insert a graphics card and by-pass the onboard graphics. Also you could use a different web browser. Firefox and chrome are much better than the dreadful basic edge browser.

enter link description here

Forum Editor 18:56 13 Nov 2016

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

7 ways Alexa can make lockdown more bearable

Facebook Shops: How and when can I sell on Facebook and Instagram?

Different Think: Why Apple needs to stop being so cheap

Confidentialité : comment bloquer les pubs et empêcher les annonceurs de vous suivre ?