Desktop computer crashes instantly (no BSOD)

Frelle 13:58 28 Dec 2016
Answered

Hello there folks! I've already posted this on another website, but I haven't gotten any responses so far. I'm a bit desperate as I was looking forward to using said PC as I have holidays until the 4'th. It would be really uncool if I didn't even get to fix it before then.

My PC specs:

Intel I7 (older one, can't get specific details of anything as my PC keeps crashing)
Geforce GTX 770
16 GB ram
Using Windows 7 Ultimate

Some more info for you: The issue started yesterday, and I have not installed any software during yesterday. Furthermore the problem intensified as I tried different things. I also made a system restore, which should in theory remove any software which caused the problem. This just didn't work, in fact it made the problem much worse I may believe. I did manage to install some drivers before I kept crashing, but it may still be a driver issue?

Anyways, I only have a single minidump file (which you may want to look at?) from my PC, whereas I have 3 LiveKernelLogs (I just don't know if you can use that for anything). Link to the minidump: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 28 Dec 2016

What shows in event viewer?

Frelle 14:38 28 Dec 2016

Hello Fruit Bat, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

As prior stated I'm unable to access my PC. It quite literally keeps crashing with no indication on what causes this crash whatsoever. I could try and boot it up and hope to open up the event viewer, but I would prefer not to do that, as it sure can't be good for the components in my computer, especially the hard drive, crashing all the time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 28 Dec 2016

tap f8 as soon as you power on and select safemode or last known good configuration.

Frelle 15:52 28 Dec 2016

Safemode also crashes, and there is no last known good configuration as I just did a system restore.

I'll try doing it in safe mode which hopefully will make the problem a bit less dominant.

Frelle 15:58 28 Dec 2016

I just managed to open it for 10 seconds and then my computer crashed again. It showed around 2000 errors? Quite a lot though, and it's in my native language (danish), so I don't think saving them and uploading them to you will be helpful, except if you know the error codes or whatever they included (didn't have time to fully see that)

Frelle 16:06 28 Dec 2016

Here (hopefully in english): click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 28 Dec 2016

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

Repair / Recovery Options

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)- If you don't have a backup then don't use this option This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from the back up that you have previously created. Any other data will be lost
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
  Secret-Squirrel 19:35 28 Dec 2016

Frelle, I've looked at your mini-dump file and it showed that your computer crashed due to a WHEA-UNCORRECTABLE-ERROR and the cause given was "A machine check exception occurred". It's all very vague and doesn't pinpoint the exact cause unfortunately but here's what Microsoft have to say about this:

This bug check is typically related to physical hardware failures. It can be heat related, defective hardware, memory or even a processor that is beginning to fail or has failed. If over-clocking has been enabled, try disabling it. Confirm that any cooling systems such as fans are functional. Run system diagnostics to confirm that the system memory is not defective. It is less likely, but possible that a driver is causing the hardware to fail with this bug check.

I've looked at your Even Viewer logs as well and I didn't spot anything worrying. The errors you noticed look like they occurred because the computer was booted into Safe Mode so not all the system drivers were loaded and that was the cause of those errors.

If you do have a hardware problem then FruitBat's copy 'n' paste from another website will not help

Frelle 20:12 28 Dec 2016

Thanks for both of your responses. I feel like Secret-Squirrel's theory is the most probable. I'll have to take off the cover and make sure every fan is working, and run some diagnostics programs to check for heat issues.

But then again, I mostly believe it could be a driver as Microsoft also writes. If I recall it correctly, the problems may have been caused by the newest Nvidia driver update, and I'll have to try and install an older version before I try anything hardware-related (as I'm a total hardware noob).

Thanks for the answers! As I stated, I did try another site, and this site is by far better :)

Secret-Squirrel 20:38 28 Dec 2016

Frelle, I forgot to mention earlier that when I analysed your mini-dump file, no driver was mentioned in the report and the conclusion was Probably caused by : hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch