Desk top icons have shifted position

Yimbo 14:35 01 Dec 2018

All my desktop icons (shortcuts) of which I have many, have suddenly shifted to the right hand side of the screen - all lumped together, whereas before I had them displayed in relevant groupings for convenient use. How can I get back to the previous desktop arrangement? I suppose I could drag each one back, but that would be a lengthy process. Is there an easier way? And what has caused this issue? I'd appreciate any assistance.

Flat Earther 15:02 01 Dec 2018

"what has caused this issue?"

Have had a similar issue after running an old game that forced a low resolution, it also messed up the set size of windows for browser and file explorer etc.

MJS WARLORD 16:28 01 Dec 2018

hi yimbo , flat earther is right I now only use older games or 1980's remakes on my spare pc because I have had all the things happen that he mentioned. I even had one game change ALL the icon pictures to that of the game. Once you have got your desktop looking how you want it take a print screen of the layout (and print it) In case it happens again then it will be easier to re-arrange them back to how you had them.

Yimbo 16:55 01 Dec 2018

Thanks folks! Does what you're saying mean that dragging the icons back, one by one, is the only solution?

Flat Earther 17:20 01 Dec 2018

Depends, open Explorer and right click on Desktop and try "Restore previous versions"

No options there for me as I don't have system restore enabled, I use Acronis Images to restore from.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable