Desk top crash

honey chops 16:17 11 Dec 2008

I had been using my XP computer fine up until 4pm yesterday. My partner then took over and went to change to his settings and everything crashed, he ended up with a blue screen and nothing else.
We did a F10 system restore on opening but this has left us with none of our desktop icons, although if we go into C drive we can see all our programmes and favourites are still here. I am unable to access my e-mail through Outlook Express etc. it is a complete and utter nightmare, any ideas as to what can be done to get it back to what it was before the crash?
We have tried system restore but it won't let us go back to before the 10th when the crash happened.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 11 Dec 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

and don't let him on it again ;0)

honey chops 19:33 11 Dec 2008

Many thanks for the information Fruit Bat but unfortunately it is a "2nd hand computer", it used to belong to my son in law who now lives in Vancouver and so I do not have all the original CD's ? What now??

Technotiger 19:41 11 Dec 2008

The original XP Key should be on a sticker on the case of the PC - if this is the case, you could perhaps borrow a friends XP disc, as long as it is the same version i.e. XP Home or Pro as appropriate.
You could then follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion.

honey chops 20:05 11 Dec 2008

If I can hold of a CD from someone else who also has an XP Home version, will this give me back Outlook Express as well?
I also suppose it will not give me access to my online banking either, will this mean I will need to set all of that up again?

Technotiger 20:13 11 Dec 2008

Follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s instructions above - notice his last comment ... 'your applications and settings will remain intact. '

honey chops 20:15 11 Dec 2008

Thank you so much. My (guilty) partner has called his friend who has XP Home but not sure if he still has the disc ! He is out Xmas shopping but keeping fingers crossed all will work out ok.
Will post a reply later to let you know if it all worked.
Thanks everyone again.

honey chops 15:47 12 Dec 2008

Hi again,
Unable to locate XP Home CD so am having to make do with a burnt copy from someone, will this be ok? Also, because it is a burnt copy, I will not have the system documentation for steps to access theew BIOS and change the boot order, again, will this be a problem?
Also, Fruit Bat says in his instructions (number 5) to select the XP installation I want to repair from the list, speaking as someone who is completely and utterly novice when it comes to computers, will this be absolutely apparent from the list what I need to select?
Honey chops

honey chops 22:28 12 Dec 2008

Urgent!
I have now obtained a burnt copy of XP Home and am following instructions given by Fruit Bat but at number 5 of the instruction my screen says:
"The following list shows the existing partition and unpartitioned space on this computer. Use the up and down arrow to select an item in the list:
To set up Windows XP on the selected item press enter.
To creat a partition in the unpartioned space, press C
To delete the selected partition, press D.
It also says:
There is no disk in this drive and
I: Partitional (Presario_RP) (FAT32) 4356 MB (811 MB free)
C: Partional 2 (Presario) (NTFS) 148262 MB (79709 MB free) and it also says
There is no disk in this drive.....
What do I press for number 5 in the instruction given by Fruit Bat?
Please help!

honey chops 22:33 12 Dec 2008

I have a burnt copy of XP Home. I am stuck at number 5 of Fruit Bat's instructions. The options of the list are:
I: Partitional (Presario_RP) (FAT32) 4356MB (811 MB free)
C: Partitional 2 (Presario) (NTFS) 148262MB (79709 MB free)
it give me the option
To set up Windows XP on the selected item - press enter
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space - press C
To delete the selected partition - press D
It also tells me I have no disk in the drive (I have the XP Home burnt copy in the DVD-Rom and not the DVD Writer & CD Writer.
What do I do?

rdave13 07:56 13 Dec 2008

Before going further with the repair try tapping F8 on startup, F5 on some machines, and on the screen that comes up try 'last known good configuration'. If that fails then reboot and tap the key again and pick 'safe mode'. Try a system restore from there. If that fails then try backing up all your documents, photos etc. Don't know if the DVD drive will burn in safe mode as never tried it. If it won't then boot up in normal mode, bring up task manager (control+alt and delete keys. Click on file, click on new task (run)and click on browse. You should be able to back up documents from there.
Repairing XP is always risky so make the backups.

I: Partitional (Presario_RP) (FAT32) 4356MB (811 MB free), this will be your partition for restoring the PC to factory settings. Do not delete.

C: Partitional 2 (Presario) (NTFS) 148262MB (79709 MB free), this is the partition where Xp is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?