Dell XPS 13..speed/RAM issue? Windows 10?

strakig 10:55 11 Sep 2016

I purchased and received my new DELL XPS 13 I5 intel laptop two days ago.

I opted for 8gb RAM and 256 SSD, I was torn between this and the macbook pro for university. I have never had apple and decided to stick with microsoft just for ease of use with onedrive and what I know.

I have always heard negative things about windows 10 but have had a chromebook up until now. After researching Dell's laptop I thought surely a 8gb RAM and SSD would mean I would not have any issues.. unfortunately after onyl two days of using it I am getting slow responses. Some examples:

just clicking on cortana it seems to crash occassionaly. I opened a 3rd tab on Microsoft edge and the screen lagged and crashed for 4-5 seconds. Opened a PDF from gmail which had 50 pages..laptop froze for 10 seconds. Opening microsoft word takes way too long and loads for a while.

My internet is fine IMO...is this the laptop? Windows 10? or a mixture of both? I really thought a laptop of this quality should manage to run windows 10 with no issues. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 11 Sep 2016

If its only two days old I would take it up with the seller and don't let them fob you off with its software as you bought it with win 10 installed.

If you don't want to do that and you have backed up any data to an external drive (a must for anyone going to uni back up daily) then try a RESET.

Start -settings- Update and security - Recovery -Reset follow the prompts.

strakig 11:42 11 Sep 2016

Thanks - I plan to ring and complain in the morning but just wanted reassurance that I'm not being a plonker and the product is not fulfilling its requirements as advertised.

Does it sound like the laptop/software might be that pants? I don't really want to exchange the item for another for the exact same thing to happen. I just can't see it performing any better. I doubt it's a one off and I happen to have a dud.

strakig 11:48 11 Sep 2016

Thanks - I plan to ring and complain in the morning but just wanted reassurance that I'm not being a plonker and the product is not fulfilling its requirements as advertised.

Does it sound like the laptop/software might be that pants? I don't really want to exchange the item for another for the exact same thing to happen. I just can't see it performing any better. I doubt it's a one off and I happen to have a dud.

Secret-Squirrel 13:13 11 Sep 2016

strakig, was the laptop behaving like that as soon as you started using it or did it slow down after you'd installed some of your own software? If it's the former then there's clearly something wrong with it. A laptop with that specification (and price) should be a very very fast performer. If however it's the latter then reset it back to factory settings.

Burn-it 18:34 11 Sep 2016

Even so it should be fairly fast unless you installed malware and you should have both AV and Anti malware software on there anyway .

strakig 00:37 12 Sep 2016

Thanks for the replies. After resetting it and installing software I need again it seems to be running great. No idea why this is but thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf