Dell Poweredge 1800 to Lenovo Not booting

bctech1 11:37 07 Dec 2015

Hi All,

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1800 running Windows Server 2003, and as the result of a power outage have had both power supplies go down. I've been given the task of trying to get the two Hardrives from the Dell to work in a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop (running XP). It's not running anything massively powerful, it's just used for our Re-Imaging desktop at work.

The 2 hardrives from the dell are in, new ram installed, but it just won't boot up from the primary hardrive used in the dell. It recognises both HD's but gets stuck in a continuous boot loop.

Any suggestions on the drivers I need/ next step to get this working. Yes it's an old system which will be replaced but due to a non existent budget I've been asked to just try and make something work.

Any ideas? I'm happy to give more system information if that's helpful - I'm just a bit over my head with this one!

Thanks! :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 07 Dec 2015

EIDE drives? you may need to check the MASTER ans Slave jumpers if you have two drives set as master on the one IDE channel it won't boot.

bctech1 08:58 08 Dec 2015

Thanks for the suggestion! The BIOS is recognising Master and Slave, but just doesn't get any further than the boot up screen. It says it recognises the HD's, and I can select which one to put from, but if I tell it to boot from the master drive that the Dell would boot on the Lenovo just gets stuck in a cycle.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 08 Dec 2015

but it just won't boot up from the primary hardrive used in the dell

of course not as the lenovo can't use dell drivers.

you need to boot from the XP hard drive (Make it the master) then you can access the data on the od dell HDDS, although you may need to "take ownership" first if it won't let you access the data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD