dell pc dead, no lights, anyway to get data?

cleofish 16:41 28 Jul 2018

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I have an old dell pc e520 dimension. We havent used it for years and ive turned it on today but theres no power. No lights, no beeps, no fans just completely dead. I tried a different power cord that i know is working but still nothing. Ive tried when unplugged pressing the button to discharge the power and then plugging in and trying again but still nothing. does anyone have any advice on what i can try now? failing that how can i transfer data from the pc hard drive to my laptop? is there an adaptor i can get from the pc hard drive to the laptop (usb?) would the pc hard drive then need some sort of power source as well? sorry for all the questions! thanks for any help.

wee eddie 17:35 28 Jul 2018

Buy an Enclosure, turn its Hard Drive into an External Drive.

You can then transfer the Data to another PC, then format the drive and use it for backup

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)