DELL Latitude FORMAT ?

Daveson 20:49 24 May 2005

Hi there, i have this laptop, but how on earth do you wipe it clean ie, format the HDD, i have tried to make the cd rom drive the primary boot so that the win xp home boots up but no joy. Any other ideas would be great.

Cheers.

DieSse 21:29 24 May 2005

You somtimes have to press a key at the right time to make the system boot from a CD, even when the CD is made the first boot drive. The Dell splash screen may be hiding this from you?

If you go into the BIOS, you should find a place to disable the Dell screen, and see the normal POST/Boot screens.

Hope this may help, if indeed this is your problem.

Daveson 06:58 25 May 2005

Ok, i have formatted the HDD but now windows install stops at 39 % ??? anyone know what the problem is ?

johnbutter 09:34 25 May 2005

are you using samsing cd/dvd drive, it is likely you will need to upgrade the firmware of your cd/dvd unit.

The driver/firmware incompatibility can be detected through the following symptoms:

1.- On Windows XP Install, the install aborts due to a problem identifed as not being able to read an *.cab file which contains the generic drivers for most hardware.

2.- On windows XP Installed ( pre SP1 ) system become unstable, and fails often to reboot properly.

3.- Software installation through cd-roms fails with unable to read data from file xxx.xx during installation process.

4.- Software installation fails due to error: Unable to find specified file ( even if it is then cdrom you are using ). Also when you locate this file on the cdrom or hard-drive it still cannot read/find the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?