Dell latitude forgotten login details

Jordie2018 18:05 11 Nov 2018

Hi I was given my friends old dell latitude laptop, and he has forgotten the login details for it and it has bitlocker on it so I’m just wondering if there is any part I can buy that will help me out thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 11 Nov 2018

Does it ask for the bitlocker key or do you not know the MS account password?

Jordie2018 20:15 11 Nov 2018

Thanks for the reply it asks for the bitlocker key when I try resetting and the ms password when logging in which they no longer no

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 11 Nov 2018

Assumming you require nothing on the drive check the base of the machine for the windows sticker and ensure you have the windows serial key off the sticker.

then you can boot from a USB drive and wipe the hard drive and reinstall a new version of windows.

Jollyjohn 21:51 11 Nov 2018

Go here click here and download chntpw - use this to clear the MS password. Can't help with the bitlocker key, sorry

Jordie2018 08:34 12 Nov 2018

How do I boot from usb drive I’m no computer genius lol sorry

Govan1x 10:35 12 Nov 2018

Sometimes removing the cmos battery for 1minute then replacing it can help remove passwords. Whether it would work for you I dont know.. But a video here to show you how easy it would be., You would need to add the proper model number to get the proper video.

click here

Jordie2018 11:30 12 Nov 2018

If I brought a new ssd wouldn’t that solve the issue

Jollyjohn 15:41 12 Nov 2018

If you buy a new Hard drive you will have to install everything from scratch. The operating system, drivers for the laptop, Office, antivirus and any other programs you want. It may be the easiest route if you cannot clear the password or remember the Bitlocker key.

To boot from USB (or cd) try tapping F8 or F12 as laptop starts - look for message about entering setup - possibly F2 and the boot order can be changed there as well.

Jordie2018 15:57 12 Nov 2018

Will I not need the bitlocker code for that? And also will the message say boot from usb

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 12 Nov 2018

without the bitlocker key the HDD is useless to you until you wipe it completely clean by using a bootable USB

just install Windows and when it comes to the time where setup asks you where you want to install Windows, use "advanced options" to delete all partitions. Then let setup create a new partition for you.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch