Dell laptop battery/ charging problem

KeithMH 19:11 10 Jan 2018

My laptop (Dell Latitude D630) showed that the battery was dead and was not charging, so I bought a new battery. When I first fitted it, it showed as being 39% charged. Ten minutes later, it was dead. When plugged in to the mains, it show "0% available (plugged in, charging)", but doesn't go any higher. The charging animation only shows on startup.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:16 10 Jan 2018

Try this first

Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

These drivers are responsible for power management hence directly affect the functionality of the battery and its usage.

If the drivers are corrupt or malfunction your battery charging meter becomes affected. It may even give false readings.

To uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers

1. Go to Device manager. Then batteries 2.Under batteries right click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, Select uninstall The battery meter will disappear from the system tray after uninstalling. There is no reason to be worried.
  2. restart your laptop. Windows will automatically re install the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers when your laptop reboots.
    1. check if the battery is now charging.
  KeithMH 23:26 10 Jan 2018

Thanks for that. I was surprised to find "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" listed twice under Device Manager, so I uninstalled both and restarted. Unfortunately, it's there twice again and the battery/charging problem doesn't seem to have changed.

KeithMH 13:09 17 Jan 2018

Seems to have been a problem with the new battery, after all. They've now sent a replacement and the problem has gone away (for now?).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)