Hot Topics

Dell Inspiron N5010 Running at Glacial Speed

Tycho 11:39 18 Jan 2016

The signs:

1) Firefox starts very slowly (Edge is no better) frequently shows "Not responding" for half a minute 2) Typing an email can be painful. I can key in a whole sentence before any text shows on the screen. 3) A clicked link takes ages to open.

System performance from the task manageer seems to be showing that it is not overloaded. As I type this CPU= 45% memory 65% Disk 2% Network 0% Keeping an eye onthe updating Task Manager shows these values to be pretty constant.

In the past I have tried AVG performance enhancer on this laptop when I was running on W7 but it seemed a waste of money.

OS Windows 10 Home with all updates (Interesting the Belarc Advisor reports the computer as having W8.1 installed) HD: 195GB free space o a 442GB drive Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) P6100 @ 2.00GHz RAM: 4GB

I rather think that my next stage should be a reset to resinstall the OS.

Any advice as to anyting else I could try?

Nick

wee eddie 20:21 24 Jan 2016

I won't argue but, I disagree

martd7 20:39 24 Jan 2016

I had to use AVGs uninstaller too because pc kept reporting "missing avg file" when I changed to Avira,and when I changed to Avast I used avira removal tool which didnt work I had to use Revo and ccleaner

Tycho 20:46 24 Jan 2016

I used both of the AVG 64bit uninstallers but they have left the AVG bits and pieces listed above.

Things are better than they were when I originally aske dthe question. But the only thing that has made a difference is getting rid og 32 bit Firefox and installing 64 Bit Firefox.

Performance is, in the main acceptable now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

How to draw an eye

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleurs ├ęcouteurs et casques audio pas chers (2020)