Hot Topics

We regret to inform you that the PC Advisor Forums are now closed, and you are unable to post new comments or conversations. If you have a question about the forums, please contact us.

Dell Inspiron N5010 Running at Glacial Speed

Anon-206572 11:39 18 Jan 2016

The signs:

1) Firefox starts very slowly (Edge is no better) frequently shows "Not responding" for half a minute 2) Typing an email can be painful. I can key in a whole sentence before any text shows on the screen. 3) A clicked link takes ages to open.

System performance from the task manageer seems to be showing that it is not overloaded. As I type this CPU= 45% memory 65% Disk 2% Network 0% Keeping an eye onthe updating Task Manager shows these values to be pretty constant.

In the past I have tried AVG performance enhancer on this laptop when I was running on W7 but it seemed a waste of money.

OS Windows 10 Home with all updates (Interesting the Belarc Advisor reports the computer as having W8.1 installed) HD: 195GB free space o a 442GB drive Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) P6100 @ 2.00GHz RAM: 4GB

I rather think that my next stage should be a reset to resinstall the OS.

Any advice as to anyting else I could try?

Nick

Anon-319210 11:48 18 Jan 2016

Run services.msc

switch of windows indexing and windows updates and see what its like then.

Anon-206572 12:37 18 Jan 2016

Thanks, Fruitbat.

I have turned off Windows Update but can't find Windows Indexing on Services.msc.

Tycho

Anon-319210 13:13 18 Jan 2016

Find the Windows Search service and click on Stop

it will be set to automatic so will start next boot up change to disable if you don't want it to run next time.

Anon-1792729 13:17 18 Jan 2016

As I type this CPU= 45%....................Keeping an eye onthe updating Task Manager shows these values to be pretty constant.

If the CPU is constantly showing 45% utilisation then that could be the problem.

Before you try anything else, have you restarted your computer (by clicking Start -> Power -> Restart)?

Anon-206572 13:20 18 Jan 2016

Thanks.

Done that and there might be a slight improvement. The screen, as I type this is only a word or so behand my typing.

N

Anon-206572 13:27 18 Jan 2016

The reply at 1320 was to Fruuitbat's suggestions.

Thanks for the hint, Secret-Squirrel. I do a restart about three times a day in the vain hope that it might clear out some dross.

BTW The only malware software that I am using is AVG Protection free but AVG seems to have left their cleaning software in place bacasue it keeps complaining that I have not bought the full version after using the free intro for a bit.

T

Anon-1792729 13:38 18 Jan 2016

I do a restart about three times a day........

Note that in Windows 8/10 using the "Shutdown" option then turning the computer back on again will have no effect - it's the Restart that frequently fixes things. Apologies if you already knew that tip.

If your CPU is still very active then let me know which process or processes are responsible for that activity.

Anon-206572 16:04 18 Jan 2016

Here are the top ten items sorted according to CPU usage:

Firefox 30%

AVG Identity protection: 2.6

Task manager: 2.4%

System: 4.2%

RapportService: 1.4%

Windows Audio device graph: 1.5%

Desktop Window Manager 1.4%

They are all twitching up and down the list so is at best a rather slow motion snapshot.

Thanks for having a go a diagnosing the problem.

Anon-1792729 17:21 18 Jan 2016

Thanks for the info.

Despite the title of this thread, I'm thinking that this is a browser specific problem. Am I right or is the performance of the whole computer always poor?

If it is only a problem that occurs in your browsers then what do you have set as the homepage as it could be causing the problem. For example, the nuisance media-rich advertisements on this site will cause serious performance issues if you're not using an adblocker and have an elderly CPU such as yours. Does any of that sound possible to you?

Anon-206572 17:57 18 Jan 2016

That's an idea Mr Squirrel. I will test the computer with no borwsers running. I will try LibreOffice Writer and see how that does.

I am not using any fancy home pages. Just the Firefox default and the new tab sisplay of links to commanly used sites.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware m17 R3 review

Apple iMac 2020 review

'You lied!' Judge slaps down Epic Games in Apple dispute

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs

/forum/helproom-1/dell-inspiron-n5010-running-glacial-speed-4568308/