dell inspiron 15 5000 question

DUNCAN-2363918 19:08 31 Jul 2016

I recently bought this laptop - I since found out the optical drive doesn't seem to work or recognize discs like games or DVDs . I was wondering if theres a fix for this? I understand its a common problem with this model Also I was wondering if the computer would play blurays if I bought an external bluray drive - I know id need to download something like powerdvd for blurays but I was wondering if the optical drive not working would matter if I was using an external drive - also I still have abluray drive from my old dell n5110 and was wondering if it might be possible to use this in the new computer? Like could I actually remove the optical drive and put in the old blray drive if it would fit and it would work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:45 31 Jul 2016

Drive can be renewed easily enough if its a hardware failure.

it might be worth trying one of these fixes first :-

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

It will make no difference to the working of an external USB connected external drive I was wondering if the computer would play blurays if I bought an external bluray drive

Download or

DUNCAN-2363918 19:55 31 Jul 2016

I should have specified its a Windows 10 computer- I understand that Windows 10 computers cant read dvds but I thought there might be a way to fix this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 01 Aug 2016

WIndows 10 should recognise a dvd in the drive and it will show up in explorer

however 10 can not play DVDs without adding third party software such as the free VLC player

natdoor 22:03 01 Aug 2016

Failure to recognise a DVD drive is a common problem with Windows 10. If that is your problem then this should help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale