Hot Topics

Dell Inspiron 15 3542 laptop not powering up

Jojo79 13:30 18 Mar 2020

My laptop has stopped powering up. It has always taken a while to power after being in sleep mode where I would have to hold down the power key for ages before anything happens but now it’s not working at all. I have tried removing the battery and ac and holding down the power button. When I plug the ac back in it automatically powers up very briefly, flashes up with the Dell screen but then beeps once and dies again instantly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 18 Mar 2020

Have a read of this click here and see if the diagonotics will run

Jojo79 15:27 18 Mar 2020

Thank you I have already tried this but it doesn’t stay on long enough to run the diagnostics

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 18 Mar 2020

Does the AC adapter have an LED? and is it lit?

Do you have or can borrow anther power supply?

try with hard drive removed / try reseating the memory or even withwe memory remove to see if it will give an error beep. click here see maintenace panel.

Jojo79 18:15 18 Mar 2020

Yes the led on the ac works and I don’t have another power supply I will try your suggestion �/p>

Govan1x 07:39 19 Mar 2020

Yes the led on the ac works

Not always the case. I had one that lit up normally but there was actually a broken wire on it on the plug that connects to the Laptop.

Bought a cheap mutimeter from eBay for £6 and that confirmed that it was not working. Managed to fix the wire with a bit of solder and that worked fine till I bought a new one.

Govan1x 07:44 19 Mar 2020

Ignore my last post . I never read your main post properly.

Jojo79 11:16 19 Mar 2020

I have tried all of the above and it is now worse. it previously powered up with the ac lead with one beep and then died
Having taken it apart i tried removing the hard drive etc and it now powers for a split second with the lead in and then beeps twice before dying again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 19 Mar 2020

You'll get 2 beeps if the memory is removed / not detected.

Jojo79 15:35 20 Mar 2020

Ok thanks x

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans