Dell 660 PSU compatibility issue

Taurus 11:00 26 Dec 2015

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas. On Christmas morning my Dell Inspiron 660 died with what I suspect is a dead PSU. On searching the internet I found that there are at least 3 PSU's with different model numbers that are said to be for the 660. One source actually describes the item with all three part numbers, implying that they are the same. The numbers are: X9GWG (mine), 0 or OVWX8 and 5W52M. My question is, are these the same or if they are different but compatible what is the difference? The technical details and, as far as I can tell the external wiring are the same, I suspect that the mounting screws are in different places. Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:42 26 Dec 2015

They all seem very expensive for a 300w power supply,thats what you get when buying original parts (found one at £307 on amazon)

if I were you I would be looking for a larger wattage (the more the better)and a none dell make that fits in the box, there are plenty around.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here Power supply calculator click here Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

2. 3.

spuds 12:33 26 Dec 2015

The problem with some Dell items, are that Dell might have them slightly 'modified' to fit Dell units. This is usually to stop people buying non-Dell products, which can turn out rather expensive, compared to an 'ordinary' compatible unit.

So like Fruit Bat as suggested. Check what is actually fitted in your laptop , and then I would suggest, look for a compatible unit.

Another alternative, might be to look on somewhere like eBay, either for a new PSU or a spares/repairs unit that might be for sale.

spuds 12:38 26 Dec 2015

Whoops, seems like I made a mistake. It was not a laptop but desktop, which should make it far more easier to find a replacement compatible psu.

Taurus 20:52 06 Jan 2016

Thanks guys for your help. I found a 520 watt compatible on Ebay for 15 quid, works fine, just had to add a molex to sata converter at around £2 as there were only 2 sata plugs and I have 3 drives. Once again, thanks a million. Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France