Deleting Word Documents

J B 18:24 03 Dec 2005

I seem to have a mental block tonight, but I for the life of me cannot remember how to delete old word documents. My version of word is in Office 2003 Pro. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much. J.B.

VoG II 18:29 03 Dec 2005

Do you mean the recently used file list? click here

J B 18:44 03 Dec 2005

I don't think so. the ones that I want to delete are the ones that are stored under the file drop down list in word itself. I hope this helps. J.B.

VoG II 18:46 03 Dec 2005

That is called the recently used file list and you have to edit the registry to reset that list, or open a load of new files to 'refresh' it.

VoG II 18:53 03 Dec 2005

I apologise, there is another way:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.

Clear the Recently used file list check box, and then click OK.

The list of recently used files is cleared, and no history of your file usage is kept. To start a new history of recently used files, do the following:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.

Select the Recently used file list check box, and then click OK.

J B 19:59 03 Dec 2005

Thank heavens for that, I thought I would have to go into the registry and I really did't want to do that,as I am not well versed in that aspect yet. Again thanks for all the help. J.B.

SG Atlantis® 20:08 03 Dec 2005

click here will clear out junk and MRU lists.

Peter 23:42 03 Dec 2005

If you want to remove individual entries from the recent file list in Word then it is possible using the following instructions. As a warning be very careful as you can also remove other drop down menu items, e.g. File, Save, using this method.

Open Word to a blank document and then press the key combination Control Alt - (minus, just right of 0 (zero) on the top row of the keyboard) all at once. The cursor will change to a large fat minus. Use the cursor to pull down the file menu and click on the document entriy you want to remove and hey presto, it will disappear. Repeat this procedure to remove further entries.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?