Deleting Registry Entries

Eileanbeag 15:53 30 Nov 2003

I have had problems with Norton Internet Security 2004 on Windows 98SE. I was also running Norton Utilities 2000 and they did not seem to run together. I tried to uninstall NU and something wentg wrong. I then installed Norton Internet Security and all went well untill it came to update through Live Update. From help files it appears I must back up Regerter and elete some Entries. Is there a danger on not getting Windows to load after that if I get it wrong?

Diodorus Siculus 16:16 30 Nov 2003

Changing things in the registry is a perilous process unless you are sure of what you are doing. As you have win98, you should be ok though as you can easily restore a registry that is damamged.

My suggestion is that you uninstall all Norton stuff, then open regedit and delete any references in it.

Get a registry cleaner, such as the one from MS or click here and try to clean the registry that way first.

Diodorus Siculus 16:18 30 Nov 2003

click here for the reg cleaner I meant to suggest.

Bald Eagle 19:43 30 Nov 2003

Dio,
Got the cleaner and it does work a treat. However, it says I have about 900 duplicated files. I cannot find a way to highlight them all to delete them. At 10 at a time it will take me forever. Any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9