Deleting old update files

HOT BOT 11:02 16 Apr 2004

As ad-aware and AVG have loads of updatess daily is there a way to delete old update files which are not needed? Could you please give clear instructions as i am a begginer.

Thanks.

temp003 11:23 16 Apr 2004

Don't know about AVG, but for Ad-aware, I think the update replaces the old reference file. Looking in the Ad-aware folder, there's a file called reflist.ref, which is the current file, and there's another called reflist.ref.old - which may be a backup of the last one, but only guessing. I don't think it's necessary to mess about manually deleting anything, at least with Adaware.

MidgetMan 11:23 16 Apr 2004

this is being discussed at click here

easy to delete old avg updates, not sure about ad-aware though

Djohn 11:27 16 Apr 2004

Click on your "My Computer" Icon then "C" drive/Program files folder/Grifsoft/AVG6/Update folder and delete all the files found inside that folder. j.

MidgetMan 11:33 16 Apr 2004

Correct me if i am wrong, delete all the old files, keeping the one with the latest date!, also the ctf file.

Djohn 11:41 16 Apr 2004

Yes, In the "Update" Folder you can delete all the files. These have already been installed into the AVG engine and are safe to delete. I do mine each month of late as there are so many up-dates.

You will be fine as long as you don't touch any other files except for the "Up-date" folder.

If you have followed the recent advice on installing the 3 update sites for AVG then you may find 3 "Update" folders. [One for each site.] You can delete all files from each of these 3 "Up-date" folders.

Regards. j.

Djohn 11:45 16 Apr 2004

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question fully! Yes, you leave the "Control file" But remove all "Up-date files". j.

HOT BOT 13:26 16 Apr 2004

Thanks everyone, especially Djohn, i have deleted all the files but left the two latest one to be on the safe side, i think a heap of space has been cleared. Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)