Deleting old Java files.

mooly 11:35 04 Dec 2008

I was going to add this to
click here
but it's been ticked as resolved.

If I look in c:\program files\java there is a list of 4 or 5 "old" versions. Is it safe to delete all these and just leave the two Java folders that show the date of the last install/update which was 2 days ago. Some are quite large, around 70/80 mb.

birdface 11:45 04 Dec 2008

Hi.I removed all of mine yesterday including the folders.I tried the Java removal tool but it still left a few so deleted them when I tried search.So at the moment no Java on my computer ,Just wondering if there was anything else you could use that did the same job.

mooly 11:53 04 Dec 2008

This is going to be backup time isn't it ? I didn't know there was a specific removal tool. If you have removed Java completely can you not just install the latest version ?

rawprawn 11:56 04 Dec 2008

Just remove all previous versions in Add / Remove programs. There is no need to backup unless you want belt and braces, then install the new version.

rawprawn 11:58 04 Dec 2008

If you already have V 11, just uninstall all the earlier versions.

mooly 12:16 04 Dec 2008

Will give it a go. The same listings are in add/remove as are shown in C:\Programs etc.
Done the incremental --- just in case.

Sea Urchin 12:39 04 Dec 2008

.....just to say that you can still add to a thread even when it has been marked resolved

rosyred 12:49 04 Dec 2008

bump

mooly 14:02 04 Dec 2008

Thanks Sea Urchin, wanted to make sure it got noticed.
Right then, confusion reigns. Well to me anyway !
In order then. Deleted old versions OK. Or so I thought ! Checked on Sun Java site to verify my present version ( which was correct -- I did this after I installed the update ) and it says OOOPS wrong version installed. Erm. Check in add/remove and sure enough two entries there. One is Java SE runtime environment 6 update 1 dated 17/4/07 ( When I installed Vista ) and an old update from 2007. Right then, had I been careless and zapped the wrong one. Downloaded the recommended version all OK and verified. Look in add/remove and sure enough it says Version 6 update 11 ( todays ) and the original runtime se one. Fine.
Look in C:\programs and find I now have two folders called Program files. One spelt with a capitol P and one not. Both seem to contain identical program file info. Restart then. The same two folders show. Switch off for 10minutes and reboot. The one with a small P has now gone. What was that all about then ? Is a restart not the same as a reboot ?
I have confused myself now. All seems OK. Ran CCleaner and that showed around 15 errors in the registry all relating to "a file left over when deleting a program" Fixed that.
Another question CCleaner -- I unticked Cookies in the belief my password data would be left intact. Not so. What should I have unticked ?
It's not easy you know all this ( pulls face ) to many ins and outs.
Thanks guys

brundle 17:19 04 Dec 2008

Run JavaRa. click here
Most people don't need Java anyway...

mooly 17:23 04 Dec 2008

Thanks, I'll remember that next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)