deleted icon on my desktop keeps coming back

sweetsop 20:57 06 Aug 2004

Hello World.

I am using WINXP Pro and there is an icon (it has no picture)on my desktop that I have tried to delete, the icon has no name, but has the tilde (i.e. ~) underneath it as a filename, it always comes back after deleting. When you right click the icon to view it's property, XP asks you to associate an icon with it, if you choose not to then you have the option to search the web. When you select that option, the internet cannot find a file association but does come back with the following,
"click here= Ÿ Ä A Ÿ".

I have Ad-aware, SpyBot S&D, Norton Antivirus, and ZoneAlarm on my pc, is this spyware that hasn't been detected?

Your help would be much appreciated to
a:Tell me what it is,
b: how to get rid of it permanently.

Thanks for your relpies and help.

JoeC 21:04 06 Aug 2004
  Jarvo 21:09 06 Aug 2004

It is a copy of your Outlook Express address book and is caused by a bug in outlooks software. I haven't used OE for about a year but at that time there was not a fix for it that I could recall. It will do know harm and the files are safe to delete. if you want to look at one open it with notepad you will see your address book. There may be a cure for it by now perhaps another forum member may help.

regrades

Jarvo

Jarvo 21:09 06 Aug 2004

It is a copy of your Outlook Express address book and is caused by a bug in outlooks software. I haven't used OE for about a year but at that time there was not a fix for it that I could recall. It will do know harm and the files are safe to delete. if you want to look at one open it with notepad you will see your address book. There may be a cure for it by now perhaps another forum member may help.

regrades

Jarvo

THE TERMINATOR 22:33 06 Aug 2004

The file is a copy of your OE address book, and is generated each time you make a change to it eg, adding or deleting someone. This is caused by a Security update from Microsoft, which they have no solution to as yet....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?