Delayed Browser launch after dial up connection

CDL 21:29 26 Dec 2004

I can connect to the Internet without a problem (dial up) but once connected there is a delay of up to 4 mins before I can launch a browser or any INTERNET related programs. If I try and launch Task manager the same applies. Once launched all is fine.

XP Pro SP2 Athlon 1700 512Mg RAM -
Could it be a memory problem?

VoG II 21:38 26 Dec 2004

During this period of apparent inactivity, do the little TV monitors by the clock, bottom right, show any activity?

CDL 21:42 26 Dec 2004

I'll check on that VoG next time I dial up and post again.

Irishman 21:44 26 Dec 2004

Have you installed ISP software from a disc. If so try jotting down all the details,name,password no to dial etc,then uninstall the software and set up the connection manually.

Peter 22:46 26 Dec 2004

Have a look in your Dial-Up Network properties (right click on the Dial-Up Network icon and select Properties) and select the Server Types tab. On mine I only have "Enable Software Compression" and "TCP/IP" ticked. If you have "Log on to Network" ticked, try unticking it. It took about a minute to log on properly for me when "Log on to Network" was ticked.

Peter.

woodchip 23:03 26 Dec 2004

Don't think that applies in XP, it does in Win98 and will stop the Dial-Up connection by one min on my computer if they are in the Connection properties

Peter 00:11 27 Dec 2004

I've come across this in Windows 95 & 98 (see my previous entry on this post), but I have not had much experience of XP so I don't know if this affects it. Worth a look to see though.

Peter.

woodchip 14:16 27 Dec 2004

It may be your AV doing a check for updates before it will release the Browser

Irishman 14:28 27 Dec 2004

Or a full system test in the background?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?