Defragmenting a Maxtor external hard drive

Rotenone 19:19 20 Apr 2007

How do I go about defrgamenmting my Maxtor 250Gb external hard drive?

I am Spartacus 19:25 20 Apr 2007

Exactly the same way you'd do a defrag on an internal drive.

Rotenone 17:49 21 Apr 2007

When I try to defragment the external Maxtor hard drive in the same way as for the internal drive I get the following message:-
Disk defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume Maxtor 250Gb hard drive(M:),.Please run Chkdsk/f.
How do I do this,please?

I am Spartacus 19:27 21 Apr 2007

Click on Start, Run then enter Chkdsk m: /f and click OK.

I don't know why it's giving that message though, I never get it running a defrag on my external disks. Are you running the Windows Defragmenter or another one?

Rotenone 20:10 21 Apr 2007

To 'I am Spartucus':-
I did exactly as you said-space after the second k,space after the colon and NO full stop after the f and it worked fine. I really appreciate the help and guidance that you have given me
Thank you.

wee eddie 21:57 21 Apr 2007

What leads you to think that you Maxtor may be Fragmented?

Rotenone 23:41 21 Apr 2007

Wee Eddie:- The Maxtor hard drive 'defragmented' very quickly so there really was no need to do this. However,I have used the hard drive many times over the past few years and I thought that it might need 'tidying up'.

wee eddie 08:06 22 Apr 2007

as a batch, say a back-up folder, and are not fragmented in the same way that files maybe on your Internal Hard Drives

Rotenone 08:56 22 Apr 2007

Wee Eddie:-
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Rotenone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)