Defrag problems not resolved

Shorty123 15:02 18 Oct 2004

Earlier thread on this click here

Ticked it as resolved too soon! Started this one to hopefully generate more advice.

end 15:23 18 Oct 2004

can I suggest that which I am trying on mine; shut down all unwanted/unneeded running programs; empty your temp internet folder, have no screan saver running;

when I first started, the drive was all over the place; ??how long is your basic defrag taking,and have you managed to run it through once yet??
( am continuing this "argument" ON forum deliberately so folks and anyone else with similar qibs can learn from the difficulties we both are evidently having, else i would suggest discussing it off forum...which we can do if you wish::)) )

TTP 15:42 18 Oct 2004

To find out your filing system - dbl click MY COMPUTER - rclick drive 'c' - select properties - it will say what your filing system is in the properties box that opens (about 1/4 down). A handy hint that i use is - before defragging , go through add/remove programs and uninstall anything you dont use anymore(especially anything that doesnt quite work like it used to/has been replaced) also take a trip thru My Documents/E-mails and delete files you dont need anymore,delete cookies , empty recycle bin(last) etc (spring clean).Next do a scan disk (error check in XP) via above procedure but lclick tools tab.I assume youve disabled the scr saver/AV/Firewall/any background spyware killer etc for this to go properly?Once error check is complete restart and disable scr saver /Av etc (as above) run windows disk defragmeter. What you have done doing this is (if scan disk gave no errors) is created a load more space for xp to move around in , this should improve the speed at which defrag works.I do it this way because my c drive is full and if there is less than 15% free space on the disk defrag refuses to work anyway so i give it as much space as possible to start with and - once per month for scan disk/defrag should keep it in order!

tonyx1302 15:46 18 Oct 2004

I am a novice in the computer world but a few weeks ago I downloaded, on a forum members suggestion, Perfectdisc from click here

It is excellent and very simple to use. It took me a few hours to get to grips.Its very easy an and more thorough than Windows defrag.

Try it for the thirty day trial.You will be amazed.

Tony

Shorty123 15:53 18 Oct 2004

Got to go out now, will try all the above on my return. (I have already tried a lot of it to no avail). Will post when I've done.

Shorty123 17:08 18 Oct 2004

Ok, quick question that may make me look even more foolish! How do I disable AVG anti-virus? How do I disable Spyware Blaster? Thanks! BTW, ran the disk error checks (no probs), done my spring cleaning. Cheers.

Shorty123 17:17 18 Oct 2004

Further info, when I look at processes in task manager after I boot up I have 30 running, is this normal?? Cheers

Shorty123 17:19 18 Oct 2004

And my filing system is FAT32

Shorty123 21:47 18 Oct 2004

bump..............been defragging for 5 hrs now, got to 22% in 90mins, now only on 24%......help

easyrider 21:52 18 Oct 2004

You must have something running that is causing defrag to keep restarting. I ran defrag this afternoon went and had a cup of tea came back all done, 160GB harddrive with about 30GB used.

Shorty123 21:55 18 Oct 2004

I asked earlier how to disable avg and sypware blaster....any ideas???? Ripping hair out here...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

See how VFX studio Rise created 'Jabariland', holograms & digital doubles in Marvel Studios' Black…

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?