Default Browser and email changed overnight

ened 16:58 10 Nov 2016

Hi, I am wondering what could have caused Windows 7 Ult. to change the Default Browser from Chrome to IE without any apparent input from me. I used it yesterday and this morning when I turned it on Chrome advised me it was not the default browser. I then discovered Outlook was no longer the default email, although I didn't look to see what that had been changed to. I ran malwarebytes which came up clean.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 10 Nov 2016

any updates last night?

Forum Editor 18:08 10 Nov 2016

I also suspect an update.

ened 12:44 11 Nov 2016

I was not aware of any updates. I have automatic updating set to OFF, but Avast settings , I have found, need to be checked regularly as it keeps changing things.

I have just noticed that HTML documents in Explorer have the Opera logo but that browser has not figured in this problem. Also, although the logo is a round red circle, the documents still open in Chrome.

I have changed the default settings but the lokos remain that of Opera.

ened 00:42 12 Nov 2016

It has happened again. I just turned my machine on and Outlook is no longer my default email (I couldn't see what is before I changed it back) and IE has been made my default browser. I can't understand this because I do not even use IE.

john bunyan 09:40 12 Nov 2016

I would download and run ADWCleaner; in case of a toolbar hijack.

ADWCleaner

Burn-it 15:41 12 Nov 2016

I use a program called STARTER from click here use it on all my machines and have done for many years. It is one of those utilities that I could not live without since it does more that just control what is run at start up. It is portable - though obviously it does change registry entries.

I

Daniel Hirst 10:50 13 Nov 2016

I would also run Malwarebytes Free just to make sure you have no naughties on your PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?