Decrypt Files after Windows Crash

MahMoud KreMa 09:26 28 Jul 2019

Hey everyone, my name is Mahmoud... i forgot to decrypt my files before updating my Windows 7 ultimate for some reasons (maleware virus), and i don't have the old windows certificate so every time i try to decrypt my files a message shows up says " an error occurred applying attributes to the files access is denied "... i don't know what to do, the encrypted files have a lot of my memories and photos and lots of things that matters to me, if you can help please help me !

MahMoud KreMa 11:03 28 Jul 2019

i didn't find any file has the certificates ...

MahMoud KreMa 11:06 28 Jul 2019

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WwanSvc\Profiles ... the file is empty !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 28 Jul 2019

why are you looking in program data?

"C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates".

MahMoud KreMa 11:23 28 Jul 2019

in my laptop the partition C doesn't include the " Documents and Settings " it contains games, intel, PerfLogs, program files, program data, swsetup, temp, users, and Windows. which folder should i use ?

Secret-Squirrel 11:53 28 Jul 2019

...........updating my Windows 7 ultimate............

What does that mean exactly? Did you in fact reinstall Windows? If you did then was it a clean installation?

MahMoud KreMa 12:20 28 Jul 2019

yes, i meant reinstall my windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 28 Jul 2019

If you are lucky and you moved documents and settings to another drive / partition then the keys will still there.

Secret-Squirrel 12:32 28 Jul 2019

yes, i meant reinstall my windows.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you didn't backup your EFS keys before reinstalling Windows then recovery is impossible because EFS uses military-grade encryption.

MahMoud KreMa 12:37 28 Jul 2019

can't imagine that my own information and Word files all the PDFs that i have can't even open them... can you imagine your own belongs is taken away from you that's what i'm feeling right Now. "(

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Apple MacBook Pro 16 pouces : prix et fiche technique