Decrypt Files after Windows Crash

MahMoud KreMa 09:26 28 Jul 2019

Hey everyone, my name is Mahmoud... i forgot to decrypt my files before updating my Windows 7 ultimate for some reasons (maleware virus), and i don't have the old windows certificate so every time i try to decrypt my files a message shows up says " an error occurred applying attributes to the files access is denied "... i don't know what to do, the encrypted files have a lot of my memories and photos and lots of things that matters to me, if you can help please help me !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:39 28 Jul 2019

What did you use to encrypt them?

MahMoud KreMa 09:44 28 Jul 2019

i used window 7 's encryption files system (EFS)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:03 28 Jul 2019

Have you upgraded to windows 10?

MahMoud KreMa 10:08 28 Jul 2019

No i kept windows 7 ultimate

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 28 Jul 2019

The EFS certificate files can be found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates".

If you have the Documents and Settings directory from the old windows set up, or you have a backup of the certificates. They are stored each in one file, named by thumbprint, with no extension. ANother way to recover them may be to roll back the windows update if you still have windows .old or search the windows .old for the keys.

If you do manage to locate them then try : click here

but without the keys there is almost no chance of recovering the data.

MahMoud KreMa 10:21 28 Jul 2019

searching....

MahMoud KreMa 10:24 28 Jul 2019

can't find them. is there another way to solve this problem out ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 28 Jul 2019

try some recovery software like Recuva free

MahMoud KreMa 10:34 28 Jul 2019

the steps you described doesn't match with the display of partition "C" i can't find these files .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:49 28 Jul 2019

"C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates".

substitute your user name for MY

E.G. "C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Username\Certificates".

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

The Berlin Wall inspires a new font for the 30th anniversary of its fall

AirPods Pro review

Test : la HolyHigh, une montre connectée GPS orientée sport