Dead Laptop On Boot up

Randal 10:28 31 Jul 2008

Hi. I have my friends laptop which is a Fujitsu Amilo A1645, running windows xp. The problem is that when it's booted nothing happens. The power light comes on and I can hear what i thing may be the fan but nothing else. The drive indicator does not flash/light up and it wont boot from cd. I have tried removing the battery and holding the on button, removing and reseating the hard drive but still nothing. Before I spend someone elses money on a new hard drive is there anything else I could try. Any new ideas would be much appreciated

woodchip 10:31 31 Jul 2008

Holding the on button turns it off. Remove the battery then try it just on mains. you could also try starting it without the hard drive as it should boot to bios if you do not have the drive in and it boots hold the ON button to shut down

woodchip 10:33 31 Jul 2008

PS if you have a Multimeter test the charger for correct Volts output, it will be on the bottom of the brick

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 31 Jul 2008

Buying a new hard drive will have no effect if it is not even trying to POST without the drive attached.

Try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a short while. Then try a reboot on mains only with main battery removed.

Randal 18:28 31 Jul 2008

Thanks for your replys woodchip and fruit bat. I just got in from work so will try them later.

Randal 18:35 31 Jul 2008

fruit bat I have just taken the cover off. Can you tell me where to look for the CMOS battery please. Never been inside a laptop before

woodchip 21:24 31 Jul 2008

It could just be under one of the plates at the bottom, but some are soldered in and may be a oblong battery instead of a button one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 31 Jul 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?