Honor 9 Lite review
My laptop kept telling me my battery was low and to switch to mains in order not to lose any work. This was strange as I ALWAYS run my laptop from the mains.
To try and stop this message appearing I Googled the problem and it said to alter the settings on "Power Options Properties" from the Control Panel. I'm afraid I have done something I shouldn't - and haven't a clue what - because now my laptop is DEAD!!!!
Mains doesn't work, battery doesn't work. The only light I get is a flicker of orange at the front of the laptop when the battery and mains are both running. Otherwise nothing at all.
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3000. Can anyone help or have I killed it forever?
Try with the battery removed.
Remove battery and mains supply. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to a minute. Now try as buteman says with just the power supply. If that works switch off and re-instate the battery. Post back with the results.
Tried all of the above without any success. The only sign of life is when I put in the battery, it flickers orange for a couple of seconds but thats it.
Before I messed about with Power Options Properties, the laptop was working fine (up to a point). The critical battery alert kept appearing as mentioned in my oroginal post, but as I said I alway use the laptop from mains. After a few minutes of receiving the message the laptop would switch itself off. This has been happening intermittently for the past 7-10 days. Does that throw any light on my problem?
You have a charging problem, could be a dud battery, or a faulty charger or a bad connection from the charger socket on your laptop. If you or a friend have a multimeter you can check the voltage coming from the charger by plugging it in without it being connected to the computer and measuring the voltage at the tip. If you have power coming out then it is either the battery or the socket on the laptop. You might just try very gently wiggling the connector with the charger connected to see if the charging light on the laptop flickers. If it does then you have a serious problem where the soldered connection on the board is broken and this needs specialist attention to have it repaired. You can tell if it is a battery problem by running the computer on mains only. If it won't run then that again points to the charger or the connection.
Excellent summary. I suggest you find a local laptop repair shop and ask for an evaluation of the situation. Check if they charge for this. A loose socket on the board can be repaired typically £90-£120. If the power module is separate to the main motherboard a straight replacement is possible but bear in mind the entire laptop will need to be stripped down in either event so the charge will be in the same price range.
You should get a fixed quote for the work and then decide if it is worth repairing the laptop or buying a new one. (The old Hard Drive will probably be OK - transfer it to an external caddy - about £10) From bitter experience a laptop is very expensive to repair and when it gets to 3/4 years old I`d seriously think carefully about a repair.
I found a friend with an Acer mains plug. He tried it and hey presto - it worked. He said that because the mains wasn't working the battery was powering the laptop and thats why it kept dying originally after the critical battery alert message.
thanks everyone, it got me on the right track.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.