Dead H/D after upgrading mobo+CPU on WinXP Pro?

rickf 00:15 14 Jun 2003

Hi All,
Hope you can help. I upgraded my m/b and cpu from P4 2MHz to 2.4. I use the same h/d with all my data and OS which is also XP Pro thinking that it would just boot up. On booting past post windows says there is a fault with the H/D. On rebooting, it says there is no H/D. I am up and running at the moment with an old 20g H/d on 5400 which I had intended to use as slave. The help I need is this. Is the 80g H/D now dead or is it that with the change of hardware win xp pro would not let me use it? I could not even install win xp pro on it as it says there is no H/D present. The H/d is only 6 months old.

woodchip 00:32 14 Jun 2003

Yes the fault is you need to Format it. And reinstall your OS and drivers for the new board

woodchip 00:38 14 Jun 2003

Sorry just reread your post, As jazzypop says above plus check you have put the Drive cable on the right way round red tracer wire next to Power plug also check you have plugged it in the right way round on the Mobo the red tracer on plugs on the Mobo are normally all at the same side

rickf 00:45 14 Jun 2003

Thanks ppl. Yes, the same cable and its put correctly the right way in. I could not format it as I could not get into windows. Any more suggestions. Sorry for the delay as I got off the net to install ZA and McAfee. Better late than sorry.

rickf 00:47 14 Jun 2003

Do you think I can try it as slave to the 20g and see if it works. If it does then I can save my data, then format and install the os on it.

rickf 00:49 14 Jun 2003

Bump!

rickf 00:50 14 Jun 2003

Jazzypop and woodchip are you still there. I need help. I am prepared to spend the night trying to make it work. Otherwise a new H/D tomorrow it seems. Thanks.

rickf 01:00 14 Jun 2003

Hi The Spires,
I got to windows setup and then XP could not install as it said there was no hard drives detected. Any more thoughts ppl. Help!

rickf 01:07 14 Jun 2003

I have the GA-8I1000 Pro m/b and the default setting in the bios is 100. The bIois did not see the H/D only the two CD drives when I was in there earlier.
But can the H/D just go like that. Its not been subjected to heavy use at all and I am very careful with my comp. Do you think my idea of setting it as slave posted above is viable?

rickf 01:14 14 Jun 2003

jazzypop, I have tried all those options including changing the cable but it just would not work. Can you answer my last question about trying to set it as slave to the 20g to see if it works. I still think it might be xp not allowing me to use it 'cause of the change in H/W.

rickf 01:22 14 Jun 2003

Sorry jazzypop. You're right you did. In my anxious moments I am reading too fast and missing things. Wiil get off for the time being and try that. I'll post back asap. Could take a while. Thanks for help so far. Great help, great site. Be back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T to be sold on contract in UK from O2, EE and Vodafone

Adobe takes the limits off Typekit, renames to Adobe Fonts

Surface Laptop 2 vs MacBook Pro

Où acheter un Mac ?