a dead computer

myname 21:30 22 Apr 2005

Dear All,
I have a packard bell computer 846
I would like to get it up and running so that my grand sons school can use it, I have tried to boot it from the floppy disk and the cd that came with the computer but to no avail,can anyone
kindly advice me how I can get this computer up and running, the bios is 1,00,05,cpor the boot
is set for floppy disk or cd.
best regards
john spencer

woodchip 21:39 22 Apr 2005

as it ever run? can you get to Prompt with Floppy? What Operating System does it have on? Win3.1 or Win3.11

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 22 Apr 2005

A few more details may help.

Does the PC make any beeps? can you see a BIOS setup message?

Any leds lit for harddrive or CD?

Can you hear fans running?

#[email protected]@~# 21:43 22 Apr 2005

Do you mean a packard bell 486?

woodchip 21:43 22 Apr 2005

If it's Win3.1 start with floppy disc then type CD WINDOWS then when it gets ther type WIN press enter

myname 21:57 22 Apr 2005

dear all
many thanks for all the help sent in your emails, you ask has it ever run yes it has run,
you ask can i get it to promt with floppy disk yes,the fan are running, the os is windows 95,
yes i can see the bios set up message, yes the leds light for the hd does light up, sorry it is a packard bell 486, it will not boot from the foppy disk or the cd that came with it.
best regards
myname

woodchip 22:03 22 Apr 2005

Try this but do not remember if it was in Win95. Start with floppy disc at A:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE

If that does not work you should be able to run Win95 Setup over its self. With a Disc from

click here to create the disc download the file and put a disc in floppy drive then double click downloaded file.

start computer with floppy and win95 disc in comp just follow the floppy instructions to reload windows

myname 22:04 22 Apr 2005

dear all
many thanks for your emails,you ask has it ever run yes it has, you ask can i get it to promt with a floppy yes i can, the fans are running,the os is windows 95, yes i can see the
bios set up message, yes the leds light up,
it is a packard bell 486, it will not boot from the floppy disk or the cd.
best regards
my name

dear all
many thanks for your emails,you ask has it ever run yes it has, you ask can i get it to promt with a floppy yes i can, the fans are running,the os is windows 95, yes i can see the
best regards
my name

dear all
best regards
my name

DieSse 23:44 22 Apr 2005

"it will not boot from the floppy disk or the cd"

but tell us exactly what it does do and what messages you get, if any, when you try to boot - in detail please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?