daughter's laptop will not boot

david.h 12:31 14 Dec 2003

my daughters gateway laptop on windows 98 will not boot, gets to w98 logo then power suddenly cuts out,tried safe mode got into than then run scandisk before completing power cut off again.
now on rebooting power cuts off within seconds before post no bleep warnings.
all she has on the laptop is w98 word & excel 97.
had recently attached a modem and downloaded w98 updates from microsoft prior to them being disbanded at the end of the month.

anyone sort her out please

[email protected]@m 13:15 14 Dec 2003

Silly question, but somebody has to ask - is it plugged in to the mains?

david.h 13:35 14 Dec 2003

the battery charge icon shows half power, also tried it plugged in as well both have the same problem

david.h 16:04 15 Dec 2003

any else able to suggest any options to try

david.h 18:18 15 Dec 2003

it only booted once in safe mode since then it powers out before the laptop gets that far, it is as if someone unplugged it before it finishes loading.
its no loger in warranty was from a now extinct company called Gateway which was good in its time.

david.h 19:13 15 Dec 2003

cant get into anything, it cuts off within seconds of being turned on even with the mains adapter, the modem is a usb external alcatel which has worked fine before.

david.h 19:36 15 Dec 2003

i do not know as it has always been a silent running computer

david.h 06:41 16 Dec 2003

thankyou i will try this at the weekend, fingers crossed

david.h 09:18 20 Dec 2003

the only web site visited was microsoft updates, is it possible that the blaster virus could have been caught from here and shutting down the laptop if so how would I remove it as the laptop will not complete a full boot

beeuuem 12:55 20 Dec 2003

From click here
W32.Blaster.Worm is a worm that exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135. The worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines.
It doesn't affect Win 98 so you can rule that out.
Which doesn't help, I know, but it is one less thing to worry about as a cause.

david.h 13:09 20 Dec 2003

thankyou for the for reply, on w98 so thats one elimination process out of the way,still stuck with the original problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch