[DELETED] 15:41 30 Oct 2003

I need to transfer some 3gb of data from the old HDD to the new (volume due to many digi photos. I was going to do this by using the old HDD as a slave in the new PC but don't have the HDD instructions and thus may not be able to recognise which jumper to re-set. I was about to try nevertheless when someone suggested putting the old HDD in the new PC's CD ROM drive, which he said avoids jumper changes. Is this safe/ a good idea / could I use a spare bay rather than remove the new CD ROM pro tem? Very grateful for previous help and hope for the same this time!

  woodchip 15:51 30 Oct 2003

You could do that But I use a USB Bridging Cable usb to usb about two metres long load software on both About ?18 from a computer fair

  woodchip 15:52 30 Oct 2003

PS Question Mark is a Pound sign changed by this forum page

  [DELETED] 16:05 30 Oct 2003

you'll have to remove the CD-rom otherwise it defeats the purpose, you will need the drives to be the masters of their own channel if you dont know which jumpers to set. (a parallel or serial null modem cable will set you back about a fiver and the software is already installed as part of windows, [DCC])

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple