Data Storage Reporting in Windows 10

Newuser939 13:27 31 Mar 2018

It appeared that my hard disc was getting rather full, so I went into the "Data Storage" menu under "Settings" to see if I could identify the cause. That listed all sorts of locations with the amount of storage used. Generally that seemed fine, except for an entry of "Other" which was said to occupy 848GB of space, which seemed faintly ludicrous. Clicking on that entry to delve down further brought up a list of the locations included,together with the amount of storage each used. However, that list only added up to about 200MB. Does anybody know what the explanation for the discrepancy is?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 31 Mar 2018

Hidden and tempoary files can take up a lot of space.

Be very careful about using programs that delet duplicate files as these can often delete files you need to run your system

a safe option is to use something like the free CCleaner to remove temp files and junk files, then afterthat its a matter of carefully going through your files and get rid of stuff thats outdated and you nologer use.

Newuser939 15:21 31 Mar 2018

Fruit Bat Thank you for that. After a great deal of further digging, I eventually found the answer in Lenovo OneKey Recovery which was accounting for almost the whole of that usage.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nintendo Labo review: Hands-on

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Les meilleurs SSD (2018)