Data DVD - Video DVD......what's the difference?

Pauper 09:53 26 Jan 2006

The title says it all really, can someone in the know tell me what the difference is between a data DVD and a video DVD. Now I am not talking in terms of what the discs can be played on or their relative uses with respect to data and video, more a question of exactly what the differences are in the resulting DVD discs.

As an example, if you have your video_ts folder with all of the appropriate files copied over from a DVD disc to your hard drive (not copyright protected or regionalised), what is then the difference between burning the files as a data DVD over a video DVD - is there some kind of file structure or format difference on the resulting disc?

Thanks

SANTOS7 10:00 26 Jan 2006

Technical Info for DVD-Video PAL

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
25 fps*
16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x576)

Audio:
48000 Hz
32 - 1536 kbps
Up to 8 audio tracks containing Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have MPEG-1, DD or PCM Audio.

Extras:
Motion menus, still pictures, up to 32 selectable subtitles, seamless branching for multiple storylines, 9 camera angles. And also additional DVD-ROM / data files that only can be read by computer DVD drives.

Total:
Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbps (10080 kbps)

* Mbps = million bits per second
* kbps = thousand bits per second
* fps = frames per second

click here

taken from link......

David4637 11:16 27 Jan 2006

I don't think you have answered his "yes/no" question- in terms of the files being copied over there is no difference - unless I have missed the boat somewhere. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?