Dark prints

red dragon 14:52 10 Dec 2004

Hi All
I have recently bought an Epson R300 printer.

Everything I print out is very dark. Not so dark that you can't see the picture.

Is there anything I can do other then "lighten" my photos?
i had a Epson 820 before the R300 with no problems

Thanks in advance
Red Dragon

jolorna 15:00 10 Dec 2004

i find using my finepix camera software instead of the epsom r300 works wonders

Cook2 15:21 10 Dec 2004

If you are using Epson PhotoQuicker the pictures do come out slightly darker than you would expect but if you choose Edit Picture and choose PhotoEnhance, the default is none, you will see a big improvement.

Also Go click here and download and save the test prints, which should print as near to the screen colours as you would want.

If the test prints are too light it would be best to adjust your screen brightness and contrast to show all colours and shades in the test print.

pj123 15:21 10 Dec 2004

Are you using Photoquicker to print?

I have an R200 printer with Print Image Matching and I always use Photoquicker to do the printing.

I don't have any problems. Might be worth checking the settings you have on the camera?

Stuartli 15:24 10 Dec 2004

Do they appear OK when on screen?

You may need to adopt a different colour management scheme.

Although people believe there is only one set of primary colours i.e. red, blue and yellow, there are actually two - additive and subtractive (emitted and reflective light).

The second set, of course, is magenta, cyan and yellow, which are used in the case of reflective light colours (such as those contained in a photograph produced on your printer).

Your monitor, for example, uses the additive (emitted light) set.

Cook2 15:28 10 Dec 2004

Whoops! If the test prints are too light it would be best to adjust your screen brightness and contrast to show all colours and shades in the test print. A bit ambiguous I think.

I should have said 'When you are viewing the test prints on your monitor, check to make sure all colours and shades look OK. If the test prints look too dark or too light, you may have to adjust your monitor brightness and contrast.

If you do have to adjust, print a test picture to see if the colours/shades/contrast are OK.

I say this because what you are seeing on your monitor, if it's not adjusted correctly, is not necessarily the same information being sent from 'puter to printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?