Dariks Boot and Nuke 2.3.0......wiped vista PC

julius44 08:02 12 Nov 2016

Hello and good morning to you all. I am hoping that I can get some help here please. A work colleague wanted to get rid of the 5-6 year old windows Vista Dell Inspiron 530 desktop pc. She has purchased a new windows laptop, so i copied all her photos from the old vista desktop to her new desktop using a portable hard drive. She said I can have the desktop,as long as I completely wipe the desktop of data. So i have brought it home, and downloaded Dariks Dban boot and nuke 2.3.0 online and burnt as an iso file and run on the desktop, but after it said it had wiped the desktop, it comes up with the following message:

Boot from CD: No boot device available, press ENTEr to retry, SATA- 0: INSTALLED SATA 1: INSTALLED SATA 4: NONE SATA 5: NONE

I have tried constantly starting the desktop and press f8 but same thing happens.

I assumed that it would just wipe the hard drive of ANY data and leave the operating system??? Am I missing something here please??

Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks Jules

Secret-Squirrel 09:11 12 Nov 2016

I assumed that it would just wipe the hard drive of ANY data and leave the operating system???

You assumed wrong. DBAN permanently wipes the entire drive and recovery is impossible.

julius44 12:10 12 Nov 2016

Ok thanks for the reply Secret-Squirrel, so please what can I do to load the operating system back on please?? I have a vista installation disk, but not sure how to install now please

robin_x 13:59 12 Nov 2016

Are you saying the Vista Installation disk doesn't boot?

Secret-Squirrel 15:47 12 Nov 2016

I have a vista installation disk, but not sure how to install now please

Click here, scroll down to "Part 2 Installing Windows Vista", and it will hopefully tell you everything you need to know.

I have a vista installation disk

Is that the one that came with that PC? if it's not then Windows may fail to activate but it's worth trying anyway.

Secret-Squirrel 15:49 12 Nov 2016

.......by the way, don't click on any download/advertising links on the webpage I linked to - just follow the instructions and screenshots.

rdave13 20:04 12 Nov 2016

Seeing you have not replied yet then 'nuking' a hard drive can cause damage. Dban can't fully guarantee what happens to the drive. If you have the Vista DVD and can't boot to it then check BIOS/UEFI that the optical drive is in first boot order. If you have and the Vista DVD still can't see the SATA drive to initialise and format then you have a problem.

Best thing I can recommend is to install the hard drive in a caddy, then connect via USB to a working PC, initialise it and format to NTFS. Re-insert the drive to the original PC and now try to install Vista via the DVD. Make sure the optical drive is first in the boot order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?