D:\ Is not accessible.(next line)Incorrect funtion

[DELETED] 19:18 22 Oct 2003

If I try to access the "a" or "d" drives from within "My computer" I get the above message.
The only way to view the contents of the CD rom is to re-boot with the disc in the tray.
runing XP home intel pent 733.

I have removed the devices from the mamager and re-booted (with and without the drives being connected)

Can I re-install XP home upgrade without losing my personal information etc, and may this cure the problem.

Many Thanks

[DELETED] 19:49 22 Oct 2003

I typed your error message into Google and found 82 relevant results. This one from Microsoft looked the most promising (I put a space after // to see if that avoids the link being corrupted)http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315350

[DELETED] 19:58 22 Oct 2003

Gongoozler, Many thanks, but i have seen that and i have never used the CD creator. But i did download the patch from Roxio.

[DELETED] 20:13 22 Oct 2003

It would appear that Nero can have the same problem
click here. Also reading some of the results from Google suggests that it can be a motherboard driver problem or a faulty cd drive, but why the A drive is affected I have no idea.

woodchip 20:19 22 Oct 2003

I would think this is the CDRW software. Which are you using XP's own or one of the others i.e. NERO CD Creator or what

[DELETED] 16:28 23 Oct 2003

Thanks for ALL your help guys.
Problem resolved by me re-installing XP pro, I no it was a drastic thing to do , but it worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker