D: DRIVE

tonybell 18:02 02 Jul 2004

Hi,for some reason my D: drive won't play DVDs, cd and roms play 90% of the time.uninstalled driver and reinstalled,used a lens cleaner,still no good.pc bought at pc world and still under warranty,customer services reckon I got to do a system recovery and I have to save my work to disk,well this is gonna take forever as I have about 3,000 music files.System recovery seems a bit drastic to me. I should add that I can play DVDs in my E:drive.Ta muchly for any help

PSF 19:26 02 Jul 2004

This might be a silly question but,is your D: drive a DVD player or CDR. You should not need to do a system recovery.

Can you read a DVD or CD in the drive, it could be the drive failing.

Have you tried removing the drive from the device manager, Windows will the re-install it when you re-boot.

john-232317 20:19 02 Jul 2004

Two dvd players in one PC, Is the software regognising both drives, or do you have to select which drive like audio software ???

PSF 20:36 02 Jul 2004

Two DVD players is not a problem in a system. I have a DVD and a DVD/RW and both work fine together using any selected media player.

You select which player when it starts after inserting a film or music cd.

PSF 22:33 02 Jul 2004

If The DVD's will not play in the D drive and ok in the E it is more likely to be a problem with the DVD unit. As you are under warranty PC world should replace the drive if it is faulty.

Telling you to do a complete system restore is a bit drastic, normally un-installing and re-installing the drive should cure most problems.

Can you visit the shop where you bought it, they could test the drive in store and replace if necessary.

tonybell 23:21 02 Jul 2004

thanks for your advice.I think I will take it back to the store,after all it's only 7 months old.Thanks again

Tim1964 23:35 02 Jul 2004

What about your 3000 music files? Don't forget to back them up first.

You raise a good point though. The thought of backing up your files my seem a time-consuming chore BUT imagine if the HDD had died without notice!!!!

It just shows it pays to backup (music files), even a CDR at a time just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?