CTF file in AVG8

jaimie 16:39 02 Dec 2008

Every so often AVG refuses to update on my XP machine, The fix is to delete bothe copies of the CFT file in the AVG/downloads folder in Docs and settings. This works but does anybody know why this happens? My research shows it happens to both XP machines and Vista. Apparently because it has two copies of the same file it refuses to update and displays the invalid CFT file message.

Regards

James

skidzy 16:53 02 Dec 2008

The Application Data folder is hidden by default. You need to enable Windows Explorer to show hidden files in order to view the Application Data folder or from the run command.

Im not sure why you are continually getting this error but maybe follow this guideline to the letter,it is known to be the fix. click here

jaimie 17:03 02 Dec 2008

Hi Skidzy, it's OK I know how to show hidden folders etc and have followed the advice but every month or so it happens again, there is plenty of advice on dealing with it but I wondered what caused it and can it be fixed?

Regards

James

Sea Urchin 23:47 02 Dec 2008

Do you have the latest version of AVG8 (8.0.176)? If not then install it - this has been known to stop the problem reoccurring.

Sea Urchin 23:48 02 Dec 2008

.....or if already using that version a remove/reinstall might be an idea

jaimie 05:44 03 Dec 2008

I will try the remove and re-install routine

Regards

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?