Hot Topics

CRYPTOWALL 3.0 fix ??

Furkin 12:36 22 May 2015

Hi guys,

Anyone got a fix for this dreadful disease (or the address of the planks that send it ???)please ?

cheers

F

tullie 13:52 22 May 2015

Have you tried Malwarebytes?

bumpkin 15:53 22 May 2015

Assuming that you have back ups a clean instal is probably the best option. Use disk wiping software as well as format to clear the drive/s.

Secret-Squirrel 17:50 22 May 2015

Chaps, I've a feeling Furkin's query is related to his previous thread.

I was hoping for the promised feedback regarding the "data recovery firm" he engaged. We also made some good progress restoring some affected files using the Previous Versions feature - I guess that success was short lived :(

bumpkin 19:37 22 May 2015

SS, curious, the orininal posting in your link dates back about 2mnths so would have thought it was sorted by now even if no feedback. Furkins profile shows as a member for over 11yrs. It seems likely to me if that if you did have the unfortunate experience of Crytolocker or similar that you would ensure that it does not happen again.

bumpkin 19:52 22 May 2015

None of this sort of thing is a problem anyway if you have decent backup.

Secret-Squirrel 08:29 23 May 2015

Oooh Bumpkin, I assumed this was a continuation of last month's problem, but now you mention it, perhaps he has been reinfected with the same pest - he wasn't using any anti-virus so I suppose it's possible :(

Furkin 12:18 23 May 2015

Cheers guys,

This is indeed the same problem, but I didn't know exactly what it was at the time. The data recovery firm that I gave it to only told me this week. They confirmed that it’s Cryptowall 3.0 but can’t do anything with it. I had back-up on separate disc – though internal. It just backed up the ‘virus’ as well.

I run Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes and something else that I can’t recall.

Although I could access ‘previous versions’, apparently this no longer works.

I should have the machine back next week, with 2 new hdd’s in, so will need to start afresh. My back-up drive will be external from now on !

I’ve told them to leave the infected data on the old ones, so will still need to look into it as soon as someone comes up with a known fix. I have an old pc, so will get that up’n’runing, & keep it separate from my proper kit, to try the infected drives on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My laptop is also buggered. Over the past few months, I put 2 new hdd’s in, as well as 2 new memory sticks, battery & digital mouse. I even had the graphics card re soldered at a place called ATI,,,,,,, but when I tried it, to download Win 10, it packed up. It only had 60 days warranty.

The data place I tried says that they (ATI) probably did something wrong, as the M.B is now ruined. I’m rather loathe to sling it as I’ve spent so much on it,,,,,, but is it worth a new (or used) M.B ?

HP Pavilion 9500 : Quanta 30 DA 85 24 :: AMD Turion 64x2 TL60 :: Crucial 2gb x 2 :: Scorpio 160Gb x 2 :: Nvidia 8400 GS :: Win-7 ult (32)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m sorry if you guys think I’m not following your advice, but I do it as good as I can in my circumstances. I hope you can bear with me.

All the best for now.

Baz

bumpkin 21:16 23 May 2015

thanks for the link rdave, I have added it to my armoury.

Furkin 10:53 07 Jun 2015

Thanks again Dave.

I've installed CryptoPrevent on this loan machine, and will certainly use it when I get mine back.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Baz

shazssss 10:46 06 Aug 2015

I am not really in forums and stuff and won't be able to reply but I need to share my experience. Like everyone else I was hit hard by cryptowall 3.0 last week. Like everyone else, I was given a deadline and $500 to pay. If you notice on the ransom "note" there is a button for support, where you can post questions to the people who hold the key. In the questions, I sent two statements: - I only need two files from the encrypted file - I am jobless and cannot pay this amount - please help me After an hour, MIRACLE happened. On the TOR browser, a message came saying please refresh. When I did that, it said payment approved. Click to download a file which was decrypt.exe. I did that. I ran the exe file, the exe file asked the key which was also on the TOR browser. When I "OK" the dialog box with the key, a dos application started and scanned all my computer decrypting all the files. So I am happy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

The Best Keyboards for Designers and Artists

Appification is the real threat to the Mac

Bon plan Amazon : l’aspirateur robot RoboVac L70 Hybrid de Eufy à 379,99 €