Cryptographic services failed to initialise the......... ESENT error 253

Aristocatman 09:28 21 Jan 2015
Answered

Not sure if the problem is connected but a short time after start up or restart the screen freezes. I notice that there is no hard drive action. restarting usually works OK.I had a look at the system logs & there is a string of error messages all the same - The cryptographic Services failed to initialise the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was -583. I looked this up in Microsofts help pages but this only referred to Windows Server 2008 Event ID 257 - System Catalog Database Integrity. & repair instructions using Esentutl. PC is a DELL T5500 OS is Windows 7 pro a second user PC from ebay I have used Speedzooka to sort other problems - successfully! but this freezup problem persists.

The repair procedure is a bit daunting as it can involve replacing the Catroot2 folder. I would appreciate advice please.

Aristocatman 13:09 21 Jan 2015

I have used the windowstechies how to fix 'ESENT.dll' download & will see if it has fixed the problem It uses Regcure Pro so I hope the payout is worthwhile. I will update in a day or so.

Aristocatman 14:57 26 Jan 2015

Well that didn't work! Still got the problem Just can't run windows update or any troubleshooters!

Aristocatman 07:55 07 Mar 2015
Answer

Fixed it! found a site that posted a link to Intel to download a driver for the hard drives controller. After reboot I was able to run updates. It is a pity the second user supplier hadn't updated the system before selling the problem would not have existed!

Aristocatman 11:21 08 Mar 2015

Half the world think it is the bees knees half hate it! I've never had a problem myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)