CRT or TFT - for digital imaging

minter 20:52 28 Aug 2003

I do a lot of digital photography/imaging and am going to update my monitor. At present I have a 17" CRT but am thinking of going for a 19" monitor.

I have been told by a couple of friends that a TFT monitor is no use for the likes of Photoshop, and to purchase a CRT.

Does anyone know why I should not purchase a TFT screen.

Is it worthwhile increasing from 17" to 19", or a waste of money.

minter 20:58 28 Aug 2003

Oops, sorry - wrong forum.

wee eddie 21:06 28 Aug 2003

TFT's have a more limited control of tone and colour, which may be critical when you are working on a digital presentation.

CRT's, my advertising are hard at work in the back office. TFT's are only for Receptionists

hssutton 22:05 28 Aug 2003

I've been using PS for the past few years, now on PS7. 90% of my PC work is photographic based, I switched from a 19" Nec CRT to a 17" TFT and I just love it, Mind you all my work is non-professional.

Patr100 00:28 29 Aug 2003

If you are workjng in a professional field where accurate calibration and prediction of colour is important then a good CRT will probably have the advantage but for general everyday use you will probably not notice the difference.

Filch 13:13 29 Aug 2003

With a TFT you will probably find it difficult to get the screen image and the print image to match and it won't be consistant from image to image. A CRT can be calibrated to match. Calibration programmes can be expensive, but Adobe Gamma which comes with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements does a good job. But each paper you use must be calibrated. A TFT can't be calibrated. However, with a bit of trial and error a TFT can be used with acceptable results. Much depends on the TFT and the printer being used. This assumes you are using Windows - if using Apple and Photoshop there won't be much of a problem, if any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?