Cross Over to Patch Panel?

  CrazyTalk 10:55 17 Sep 2012


Am running Cat6 cable to my cellar. I plan to run a face plate in the walls of all rooms where there will be an ethernet connection. Originally when I did this in a previous house I wired two rooms together i.e. a face plate in one room and the other end a face plate. I did a cross over cable for this so when connecting anything at the other end it would talk to the device in the other room i.e. room A NAS straight through to face plate, room B PS3 straight through to face plate for example.

However as I will be connecting multiple rooms together in to a patch panel then switch / router how will this then work? For all rooms where there is face plate do I crossover all cable to the patch panel or straight through? If straight through to the patch are my patch leads then cross overs to the switch? A little lost on this one

  Forum Editor 11:53 29 Sep 2012

Can you not just simplify the whole process by doing it wirelessly?

  mgmcc 14:15 29 Sep 2012

If wireless isn't feasible, why don't you use "straight" wired cables as you would in a router-to-computer connection? If you need to connect two computers, or similar devices, directly via the face plates, connect one of them with a "crossover" cable. Modern computers etc may have auto-sensing ports in which case the cable configuration won't matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)