Cross-over cable

Newuser2193 14:35 08 Apr 2004

I have just networked three computers through a network switch. However I inadvertently used a crossover cable on one computer to the switch. However the network seems to be working fine! How can this be so if I've used the wrong cable ? I intend to replace the cable with a patch cable but have I risked doing any damage?

anon1 15:03 08 Apr 2004

Doubt if you have done damage it would be more likely that the crossover cabled pc would not work in the group.

geeuk 15:24 08 Apr 2004

Hi

The switch will know you have a cross over cable attached and will use it instead of its internal cross over. If you replace it with a straight through cable it will manage the cross over its self. Its doing know harm.

Newuser2193 22:05 08 Apr 2004

Thanks for the replies. Am I then right in thinking that I do not need another cable?

duckers 22:19 08 Apr 2004

You are indeed correct.....
Incidentally you can buy adapters that convert a normal cable to crossover for about a quid at computer fairs,, theyre well worth the investment and you never need to worry about cable types again, you only ever need a straight through patch cable and an adapter.
click here and look at the top advert,, these are expensive though at almost a fiver, last time I bought some I got 4 for a fiver so as always look about,,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?