Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working

Amer 11:10 25 Jun 2017

Good morning everyone. Haven't been to this forum for a while. I am hoping someone can help. My technical knowledge and ability is limited!

I have a Dell desk top XPS series. I recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Went very smoothly and all good for a month. As of yesterday, I have lost my Start button functionality. Whenever I try to use it gives me the message Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working, we'll try and fix it next time you sign in. Apparently it is a common problem.

I have tried the fix suggested on internet sites of running Powershell and then the suggested command, it whirrs away with lots of red text, then completes, but problem is still there.

I also tried using the Windows Start menu troubleshooter which runs and says Required Applications are not installed correctly - Not fixed.

It's driving me mad and I don't have the confidence to do any serious mucking around. Can anybody please please help.

Thank you

Amer

rdave13 11:55 25 Jun 2017

Try restarting the PC rather than shutting down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 25 Jun 2017

Assume you Used the Powershell command did you do it in safemode?

Press the CTRL + SHIFT + ESC hotkey combination to open task manager. Click File, then and choose Run New Task from the drop down menu. Type powershell in the Open line of the Create New Task pop-up window and click OK Now right click powershell from the task bar and select run as administrator from the pop-up menu Now copy/paste the following command in the command prompt of the Powershell Window that has a blue background:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Press the ENTER key. Wait for the command to finish the reboot your system and then test to see if Cortana and Start Menu are now working.

you could also try running sfc /scannow in powershell (better in safemode)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple