Critical Error - Windows XP

kentylad 23:03 20 Dec 2004

My computer recently popped up with a command prompt screen upon booting, stating that the last time I shut down a critical error occured, and listed several options (Last known good config., Safe mode etc). However, whenever I try any of these options it gets just slightly past the Windows XP progress bar stage, when it suddenly cuts out and restarts, to which the same process occurs.

I have tried removing all peripheral devices inc. PCI cards and Slave HDD's but this doesn't seem to eliminate the problem.

I am toying between whether it is a software or hardware fault....?. I understand there have been similar problems with SP2? However the system has been running fine for 3-4 weeks with SP2 installed.

Spec: 1600MHx Athlon 2000+, 256 PC2700 RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2

ACOLYTE 00:56 21 Dec 2004

I dont know,if my pc has any critical errors,it resarts on its own and i dont get a command prompt i do get a box telling me it has recovered from a serious error and asking if i wont to send a report to microsoft on restart.Xp i think is supposed to mend itself in a way and revert to a safe time before the error,What you may have is a start up error in the boot section,look in msconfig and goto Boot.ini and check the boot paths,may not be that but worth a look.If not you could try a repair of xp.I also have xp sp2 and have had nothing like this problem.

ventanas 08:48 21 Dec 2004

I had this once with one of the pc's here at work. Fine the day before, but when booted next morning I got exactly what you are getting. I was never able to find out why it happened, nor was I able to cure it, despite a long call to Evesham. This was months before SP2 so I wouldn't blame that.

In the end there was only one solution, you can probably guess what that was. Wipe it and start again. I hope you find an alternative solution because it still bugging me somewhat.

281apple 09:11 21 Dec 2004

well Kentylad, join the club. This happened to me in late September and after asking everyone and his brother for help, I finally came to the point that, after having tried everything people suggested - including Microsoft - the best thing to do would to simply reinstall Sytems. So I did format the hard disk and reinstalled XP. Since I did this I have had no other problems. But luckly I had bought and installed an external hard disk before having reinstalled.
If you ever find a better and less time consuming solution please let me (us all) know.

kentylad 10:07 21 Dec 2004

It's fairly conclusive then that the only (known) fix for this error is to re-install Windows. This had crossed my mind initially, but then I realised that after the memory check during boot....it doesn't let the system scan the primary boot device, namely the CD-ROM. Thus, I am not able to access this at any stage during the boot.

I would firstly like to try and repair XP but as you can tell; the above prohibits me from doing such a thing

ventanas 16:09 21 Dec 2004

I tried repairing, and everything else that seemed relevant in the Recovery Console - nothing worked. Have you tried booting from the XP CD? It should still do so, hopefully.

kentylad 19:38 21 Dec 2004

Yeh I have tried that but it completely skipped that process. I tried it more than one time as well......

kentylad 17:31 22 Dec 2004

OK. I have successfully recovered the HDD! I had an old HDD with a previous installation of Windows lying around from the same PC, so I ran CHKDSK /F from there on the erroneous HDD. All is OK apart from.....

....the mouse REFUSES to work! I have a MS Intellimouse Optical that is plugged into the On-Board USB port. It definitely received power as during start up it flashes, however once it reaches Windows it will not respond. I have tried other ports, as well as re-installing the mouse and Mobo USB drivers.....no luck!

Any ideas guys?

kentylad 11:02 23 Dec 2004

Anyone have any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?