Critical Error Message

shazza65 20:52 17 May 2004

I currently run Windows XP and tonight when I turned on the computer, I received an "Error Signature" which started my system had recovered from a serious error.

The error took the form of "BCCode : ea BCP : 8..." with a load of numbers. The message mentioned a Product: 256_1, along with BCP3 with numbers and BCP4 with numbers.

I am a bit nervous about putting all of the whole the message with all the numbers because I don't know if this gives away any of my computer details or just describes the error on my system.

Please can anyone let me know what I am dealing with?

stalion 20:56 17 May 2004

run scan disk to see if it corrects the problem

shazza65 21:38 17 May 2004

Have ran a virus check, no problems.

Not sure if this is related to my earlier problem put out on the forum 8/5/05 20:00 under "Problems with Norton (Symantec)"?

woodchip 21:42 17 May 2004

If it seems OK now, give it time to see if it does it again. and No one is going to get any info that's not needed from a error window

stalion 21:44 17 May 2004

have you loaded any new software recently?.Regards

shazza65 21:45 17 May 2004

Thank you for the advice, but do you know what the error was??

shazza65 21:48 17 May 2004

Messages crossed there while I was answering Woodchip.

The only new software I have put on the computer was Encarta Premium Suite 2004 yesterday. I had the 2003 version up until then.

As I mentioned previously, no sure if this has anything to do with my previous problem with Symantec?

stalion 21:51 17 May 2004

many critical error reports are caused by software if your problem persists I would remove Encarta to see if it cures the problem.Regards

woodchip 21:54 17 May 2004

Symantec can be problematic. Depends on the computer configuration before it's loaded Norton changes files and as done on early versions it can be a nusance as I use Norton 2000 utilities on my 98se comp but cannot us it on the XP one as it's not designed for XP. not sure about later versions

woodchip 21:56 17 May 2004

If you have a full XP cd, not a restore disc, you can put the cd in comp stop it loading then go to Start\Run and type SFC /SCANNOW it will look for corrupt files

shazza65 21:58 17 May 2004

If my Systemworks 2003 is causing a problem, can you suggest an alternative?

I have Norton Firewall, but could always swop this for the well mentioned Zone Alarm version.

I need an antivirus programme that would be compatible with this, but really want to keep Encarta because my kids use it for their homework a lot, instead of trawling through the NET.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?