Creating a picture with Photoshop Elements

MartynHoll 18:34 13 Aug 2005

I have just taken a picture of a ship at sea and cut round it in PS so that the new picture is just of the ship. This worked OK, but I still have a square border around the ship when all I want is the ship. The reason I am doing this, is that I want to import the ship onto a map background in Studio 9 and then move the ship along the route. Can anyone tell me how to create a file which is just the shape of the ship?

johnnyrocker 18:41 13 Aug 2005

i think the background has to be set to neutral or such like but if you click here you might get better results.

johnny.

Completealias 18:45 13 Aug 2005

If you are refering to a checked background in shades of gray then you do just have your picture of a ship on its own.

That background is just phtoshops way of showing there is no background to the picture.

Does it look like this click here

MartynHoll 18:49 13 Aug 2005

No, the background is white

MartynHoll 18:52 13 Aug 2005

I used the magnetic lasso tool to mark around the ship in the orginal picture and the copied the selection and pasted it into a new file

Completealias 18:56 13 Aug 2005

OK I have just extracted a part of a picture if I then save it as a jpg it places it on a white back ground but if I save it as as phtotshop psd file it does not.

I then have to open up the background wish to copy it onto in phtotshop and copy the extracted picture on top of that.

Sorry I don't think that helps much

genuinefake 18:59 13 Aug 2005

have you deleted the 'background' layer?

Completealias 19:02 13 Aug 2005

The way I did it I used the extract tool from the filters menu this then removes the background layer as you say if I then save it as a photoshop file it looks like the link I posted earlier. If I was to save it as a jpg for example thou it would place the extract onto a white background.

Philwane 20:00 13 Aug 2005

If you are using Adobe Photoshop Elements do you also happen to have Adobe Premiere Elements?

The reason I ask is I have just extracted part of a picture in Photoshop and saved it as a PSD file then I imported it into Premiere Elements My main movie was on Video 1 timeline.
I put the psd file on Video 2 timeline and it just shows the cut out segment with the main movie showing behind, you can make the psd file cover any length of the video 1 timeline and you can play about with the opacity to get it exactly how you want it.
But if you have not got premiere elements I guess its not much help?

Fellsider 21:21 13 Aug 2005

It won't work if you save it as a jpg.

You will have to save it as a PSD, assuming Elements uses the same filenames as Photoshop

TommyRed 21:59 13 Aug 2005

When I'm stuck on something in elements I go here click here HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?